Your church has Discovered Your Identity. You know who you are and have caught a glimpse of where you would like to go.
You have Determined Your Competitive Advantages. You’ve examined your strengths and found where your organization is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.
Now that you’ve determined who you are, it’s time to decide where you want to go from here. In order to do that, you’ll need to set very specific goals for your church. But there’s one extremely important thing to keep in mind. You should not and can not be all things for all people!
“You should not and can not be all things for all people!”
All Things for All People
As a church we often try our very best to be all things for all people. When it comes to marketing (particularly your competitive advantage) you must break away from this way of thinking.
Competitive Advantages are anything but all things for all people. Competitive advantages set you apart from the competition. They speak specifically to a niche audience that either a. currently describes your congregation or b. realistically describes the prospective addition to your congregation.
Set relevant goals in order to further your church and Market directly to the target group that your competitive advantages will resonate with.
Setting Effective Goals
In order to set successful goals, keep in mind the following:
- Keep Goals Specific. Be as specific as possible and write out your goals.
- Make Sure Goals are Measurable. Can you measure your goals?
- Ensure Goals are Attainable. Can you actually reach these goals? Don’t be afraid to stretch yourself, but don’t set unreachable goals.
- Goals should be Relevant. Goals should pertain directly to you strengths and competitive advantages.
- They Need to be Timely. Set short term goals. Make a timeline. And set longer term goals that are also attainable, relevant, specific and measurable.
Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timely…Isn’t that Smart?
You now have a firm grasp of who your church is, and are looking to the future and where God is leading. Work together with your team to set ‘Smart’ Goals, further develop your advantages, discover more strengths, and continue to reach the Nations.